The Moirai Trilogy

Book one of the Moirai Trilogy, Weavers, is due out on July 7th, and I wanted to give you guys a few updates.

1. What in the hell is the Moirai Trilogy?

Great question! The Moirai Trilogy follows the paths of a few telekinetics, and their interactions with modern and recent history, along with the government agency who utilizes them for the greater good.

2. That doesn’t sound much like your other stuff.

Agreed, but it really is. Weavers stars a young girl named Cynthia, it features a pair of idiotic criminals, and much of it takes place on the absolute fringe of society. Basically a typical Aric book, in which really tough stuff happens to good people.

3. All right, that doesn’t sound too bad. When are the next two books coming out?

No clue, to tell you the truth. What I can say is this, all three books in the trilogy are done, so you needn’t worry about any George RR Martin style antics from me.

4. If they’re done, why aren’t there release dates yet?

Doh. When I said they were done, I meant first drafts, There are still a few hoops to jump through before we’ll have solid dates, but in an ideal world, they will release no more than a year apart from one another.

5. That sounds kind of ambiguous. Are you sure they’re done?

I’m positive.

6. So are you just sitting around now?

Nope, hard at work on a new one. So far it’s going good, too, so hopefully that keeps up.

7. What about Nickel? Where’s he fit into all of this?

He doesn’t, regrettably. Fans of Nickel are going to have to wait a little longer for another adventure, but I do plan to write about him again. Not to sound too self serving, but convincing everyone you know to buy Nickel Plated and Tunnel Vision would probably help a lot, to tell the truth.

8. I’m not doing that.

Fair enough. I wouldn’t either.

Can’t wait to share this one with everybody, talk to you all soon.
Aric

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Moirai Trilogy

1. Jack says:

This set sounds like it will be right up my alley, Boss. Sci Fi plus Aric grit should be pretty sweet. Slightly bummed that with drafts completed it’ll still be a year between books. As far as pimping Nickel, consider it done. All the best.

• admin says:

Thanks, Jack! As I mentioned, I’m just excited to share these ones with you guys, I have very high hopes for the series. I’m a little bummed about the release spread too, but the trick with publishing is to just make sure that they come out at all. Thanks again for the kind words, and for stopping by to comment again.

Aric

• Kathy says:

Hi,
        You spoke at Northview East campus. My daughter does not go there, she is in 8th grade at Crossroads right now. She is a great writer and interested in publishing some of her work. We have NO idea where to start and were hoping you could help and advise us where to start.
        Thanks,
        Kathy

• admin says:

Hi Kathy,

That’s very cool that your daughter is so into writing at that age, what a great hobby to get into. Now then, to the subject at hand.

There are basically two ways to get published. You can either self-publish through a company like Create Space, or you can attempt to find a publisher that wants your work.

The upside to self-publishing is that you control everything, and the percentage of money made is higher. The downside is that in addition to all that control, you’re left with all of the bills as well. Even the best books need an editor-trust me on this one-and editors cost money, as does marketing, cover design, and book layout, not to mention having to pay to have actual books published! The upside to all of this is that you are in total control of your books destiny, and if you’re not married to the idea of needing to sell physical copies, ebooks will save you some money there.

The upside to professional publishing is that they pay for everything. Edits? A ton of them. Covers? I usually pick between at least four. Marketing? You know my marketing folks are doing a good job or no one would read my books or come to this site. There’s also that brass ring factor, which does play a role for me. I like knowing that I’m professionally published, it’s something I worked really hard to achieve, and I work even harder now to maintain it. The downsides to pro publishing are pretty simple, they make a lot of the decisions for you-I think this is a good thing-you make a smaller percentage of titles sold, and it can be hard to get the keys to the washroom. I’ve said this before, but it bares repeating, I submitted over 400 query letters and manuscripts before finding an editor who wanted to work with me. Getting that many rejections does not feel good.

My recommendation would be to see what your daughter wants to do. Getting published at her age would be an almost impossible achievement, so that would be rad, but juggling school along with all of the work that goes into pro writing would be really hard, not to mention that when she begins submitting, she’s going to be dealing with some harsh gut checks in the form of rejection letters. No matter how talented a writer is, they’re going to hear no before they hear yes. If this is the route you choose, get a copy of Writer’s Market and get to work reading and finding places to submit.

If she chooses the route of self-publishing, just set realistic goals and try to have fun with it. I know some great authors who got started through self-publishing, and a couple who made a butt-load of money. Not that stories like that are the norm, but self-pubbing would allow her to be as involved-or not involved-as her time and energy allows.

Either way, good luck.

Aric

2. Frank Burgess says:

Just finished reading Tunnel Vision. I’ve had it for a while, bought it and about twenty other books at the same time. I will say that it was the one book that I read cover to cover without stopping, It was great!! Hope, like your mom, to see him soon.
    Looking forward to the Trilogy, a year in between just gives people time to look forward to the next book.

Good Luck and thanks for the wonderful stories that give us all a break from our own lives.

• admin says:

Hi Frank,

I’m so glad that you enjoyed Tunnel Vision! The trilogy should be super fun, and I think there will be a lot in there for new and old readers to enjoy. On a side note, it will be a few months yet, but when I have pre-release copies of Weavers I’ll be sure to give away a few copies on here, and I may even have access to net-galleys. I will update here as soon as I know more. Thanks again for giving my writing a shot.

Aric

3. Matt says:

First, thank you for taking the time to write this update and all the thoughtful replies to your fans.

I have to say your description of the Moirai Trilogy sounds really good. Typing in pure ignorance, your description brought to mind Neil Gaiman’s novels which have been nearly universally incredible. Picturing your writing style in a social fringe demi-fantasy setting sounds like a lot like inevitable all night binge reading to me.

I just finished “A Good and Useful Hurt” and it’s yet another excellent novel that I’ll be buying a copy of and recommending to anyone who will listen (along side the Nickel books of course).

Without the free copy of Tunnel Vision that Amazon sent out and your library on Kindle Unlimited, I’m not sure I would have discovered your excellent novels. They aren’t in genre’s I have usually looked to for escapist relaxation reading. They just wouldn’t have shown up in a book search that I would have typically initiated, but I’m incredibly thankful that Tunnel Vision ended up on my Kindle and hooked me on on your writing. After which, I was able to add several of your books to my Kindle Unlimited set which resulted in me purchasing a copy of every book I’ve read because they are just that good.

I really hope this marketing approach brings you a ton of success because it absolutely worked for me from a customer perspective. At this point, I wouldn’t think any longer about buying one of your novels than I would Brandon Sanderson or Neil Gaiman. If you write it, I’ll buy it… and as long as they are as awesome as they’ve been so far, I’ll be recommending them whenever I’m in a conversation about good fiction.

Best wishes and thank you for the writing!

• admin says:

Man, you guys are just the best. Matt, you said some beyond cool things here-beyond nice as well-and I just want to tell you that it’s a little scary being compared to Neil Gaiman or Brandon Sanderson, that’s very heady company. That said, I truly appreciate it.

I’m really glad to hear that you enjoyed my other novels so much, and also think that The Moirai Trilogy sounds good. Like any author I get nervous about a new book coming out, especially when the story is going to be as long as this one, so it’s very reassuring to hear that at least the premise sounds good. Again, I cannot wait for you guys to read Weavers, it was a riot to write it.

As for the thoughtful replies to my fans…man, that’s tough.

You guys are why I get to do this, and I am incredibly grateful for everyone that has given my work a chance, and it’s insanely cool to get to talk to some of you. I know that the goal is to sell books and get new readers, but it’s going to be a sad day for me if I ever get too busy to respond to fans, or very occasionally post here. I am able to do what I do because of my readers and it means a ton to me that you guys like my work enough to stick around for more.

Thanks,
      Aric

4. Chris says:

Aric I’m excited to read the series and wish you all the best! Sci-Fi/Fantasy has always been my thing. Based of the reviews I’ve read it sounds like I will have to pick up Tunnel Vision while I wait for July 7th.

• admin says:

Hi Chris,

Excellent! I hope you enjoy Tunnel Vision, and it sounds like Weavers will be right up your alley. I’m so excited to share the new one with you guys, and as soon as I have galleys I’ll be giving a few away on here.

Thanks,
      Aric

5. Kyrilson says:

Is this series YA or Adult?

• admin says:

Hi Kyrilson,

The trilogy is meant for an adult audience, but as with almost all of my books, younger people do play a major role. Thanks for stopping by!

Aric

6. Sophie says:

Just finished Tunnel Vision. Great book. Great characters. First of your books I have read. Didn’t realize you were from GR until the end. Love GR and visit often. If I ever see you at a bar, I’ll send you over a beer. Plan on reading the rest of your books.

• admin says:

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for checking out Tunnel Vision and stopping by! If you ever see me out and about, you’ll have to come say hello. Hope you dig the next one you read, Nickel Plated would probably be a good place to start.

Thanks,
      Aric

7. Vince says:

Dear Mr. Davis,
    I stumbled across Nickel Plated a while back and have worked through the rest of your novels. I look forward to your venture into fantasy/SF. (TK seems more fantasy than science fiction to me.)

Having just finished the second Nickel book, I’m left with a few hopes or suggestions. First, Rhino’s story seems like a good one that deserves to be told. From Brazilian slums to helping a waif named Nickel maybe? Second, I’d love to read the filler story between books one and two of the Nickel saga. Third, I’d love to know your story; I know it’s none of my business, but if you would like to share, I’ll listen. Really good and gritty novels from a tattoo parlor seems very odd. How did that happen?

Regardless, you have moved to my ‘buy his books’ list of authors.

Keep up the good work. I have really enjoyed everything you’ve written so far.

Vince

• admin says:

Hi Vince,

Thanks for stopping by! I’m very excited to see what my readers think of Weavers as well. Ideally I’d have galleys by now, but as soon as I do I’ll be giving a few away on here-once the stupid things show up on my doorstep!

I’m really glad that you enjoyed the Nickel books so much, that’s really cool. I do like the idea of learning the story of Rhino, it’s a rad thought with one big issue. I’ve never been to Brazil. That might sound silly, but as easy as it is to fake a lot of stuff, fudging a location as diverse as Brazil seems really daunting. As it stands now, Rhino is basically MMA fighter Wanderlei Silva, avoiding his unfortunate last couple of years.

I have high hopes to tell the rest of the Nickel stories, but at this point the only way for that to happen would be to self publish them. I’m not totally opposed to that, but I don’t want to jump the gun either. No matter what, I know that eventually new Nickel stuff will be published, and all of the old stuff will be released as well, I just need to do it the right way, so that I don’t cut myself or my readers short.

My career has been really odd, and was featured on Amazon a few years back. Here’s the link:

If you have any more questions I’d be happy to answer them, and thanks again for checking out my work!

Aric

8. Vince says:

Aric,
    We’ll it sounds like you need a nice vacation to Brazil. Of course, if you pay, I’d be glad to go for you.

Did you self publish the first two Nichol books?

Anyway, thanks for the good reads, and please, keep of the good writing!

Vince

• admin says:

Hi Vince,

Brazil does sound nice, doesn’t it? Not that I need warmer weather right now.

Nope the first two Nickel’s were published by Thomas and Mercer.

Thank you!

Aric

9. Karen says:

As a new reader (about a third of the way through Weavers and already knowing I want the rest) I just wanted to say thank you for having this little Q&A up. I hate finding a “first of a series” that I want to read more of then finding the author’s site with not a hint that there is more of the series in the works. I’ll just have to check out your other books while I wait!

• admin says:

Hi Karen,

I’m so glad you’re enjoying Weavers, thanks for giving it a look. I’m also glad that my oft-updated blog could be of help. Thanks for reading my work, and for stopping by.

Aric

10. Vince McClure says:

Aric,

I suspect that you have let this website die. Two years seems like a long time between posts.

If not, what are you writing and when can we expect to see it?

How about adding something to your website.

Best of luck no matter what you are doing.

Vince