Movies? Options, I suppose…

I’ve been keeping this under my shirt, but it’s worth noting that The Fort, Nickel Plated, and A Good and Useful Hurt have all been optioned for possible future film/television production, and yours truly has been tasked with writing the first drafts of the screenplays. Who knows where this will head, but I’ll keep you all up to date with any good news that may come.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Movies? Options, I suppose…

1. Jeremy says:

Hey Aric,
    I literally just finished reading “The Fort.”
    I’m glad I gave your book a shot-because I loved it!
    I wish you the absolute best and I hope to read much of your work in the future :)
    Best Regards,
    Jeremy

• admin says:

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for checking out The Fort, and I’m so glad you enjoyed it. On my end, I hope to give you a lot more work to read in the future. Thanks for stopping by, and for reading my stuff!

Aric

2. Jenny says:

Aric,
    I started reading Nickel Plated after I saw your story on Amazon, and I’m thrilled with the purchase. I just wanted to applaud you for sticking with what your passion is and becoming a writer, because it has given me the inspiration to jot these characters and plot ideas in my head down and seriously begin creating my own book.
    Best of wishes,
    Jenny

• admin says:

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for giving Nickel a try, and I’m really glad you enjoyed it. Please, please, please stick with your desire to be a writer. It will take a lot of work, and a little bit of luck, but no matter how it turns out it will be well worth the journey.

Aric

3. Logan says:

Aric-
    I picked up ” A Good and Useful Hurt”on a whim. As a former shop worker and heavy duty collector(working on a full body suit with primarily tattoo and some electrocautery branding for accents), as I read, not only was I thrilled to find my lifelong loves treated with respect and normalcy, I knew these pages came from the heart of an “insider.” And now my suspicions are confirmed.

In starting the book, I was surprised that it wasn’t cringeworthy, the word “tat” remained unsaid -as it deserves, and as I made it to the third chapter, that I was not only loving it, I was hooked. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of your work. Bravo, good sir, bravo.

Regards,

Logan

• admin says:

Thanks Logan! One of the most important things for me when writing AGaUH was making sure that my fellow shop rats wouldn’t out for me for not staying true to the reality of shop work, all the mundane parts included. I’m super glad you stopped by.

Aric

4. Logan says:

Awwwww dude. 45% through and “tat” finally shows it’s stupid face.

5. Nathan R says:

Hey man, i just started Nickel Plated and i cant get enough of it. Honestly i feel it would make an amazing movie. and i think you are an amazing author. Keep writing man, its some good stuff coming out of your noggin.

6. Stephen Jacobi says:

Hey Aric!

I recorded “A Good and Useful Hurt” with Luke Daniels a while back. It has to be one of my favorite books that I have ever recorded and read. It was so thrilling and captivating, and the fact that it took place in my hometown made even better!

Keep ‘em coming!

- SJ

• admin says:

Hi Stephen,

That is so cool! You guys do such a great job, and I love getting my new audio books from Brilliance in the mail, they always had a whole other layer to the storytelling. Keep up the good work, and thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I’ll have something else for your studio to work on soon.

Aric

7. Candace says:

Yes! I would def go see Nickel Plated (haven’t read the others yet), but they’re on my to-read list.

8. Naomi says:

I’m very stoked about this potential development. I just finished Nickel Plated a month ago and it’s probably the best teen book I’ve read in a dozen years, even as a teen librarian. Trying to plug it into teen book club soon! The potential movie will make it even more attractive to them.

9. Aric- Forgive me for posting this here, but I’m having a heck of a time finding contact info for you. I LOVED AGaUH, and I organize an annual writers conference at Kent District Library in the spring and would be thrilled if you would take part. Please email me for details (or with regrets). Thanks for considering.

10. Scott Meoak says:

Hello – I also apologize for posting this here but like Morgan I cannot find a contact email for you anywhere on your site. I’m wondering where I can get a copy (at a normal price!) of “From Ashes Rise: A Novel of Michigan”. Is this book no longer being published?

Thanks,
    Scott

• admin says:

Hi Scott,

No sweat contacting me on here, this is definitely the easiest spot to do so. As to Ashes…

When I was working on editing my first professionally published novel, Nickel Plated, I began to realize that as proud as I am of the story in From Ashes Rise, the editing is horrible-self edits-and the style of prose was nowhere near what I was capable of years later. For those reasons, I decided to take it out of print.

I do on occasion think about giving it a shake and seeing if my publisher wants to give my first work a look, but I’ve been so busy creating new things that it just isn’t something I prioritize right now. In any case, when I pulled it from publication I “leaked” a PDF of the interior to the web, so that anyone who REALLY wanted to read it, warts and all, still could. That link is below, and I assume could be read on most e-readers.

If you do give it a look, please be kind, and remember that when it was written I was learning how to walk :-)

Thanks for stopping by!
      Aric

• Scott says:

Hi Aric – Just wanted to let you know that I did give it a look, and I thought it was a great story. Of course, having grown up in Michigan and being intimately familiar with most of northern and mid-Michigan makes it hit home all that much more…
        Thanks for posting that link, and I look forward to a potential edited and official version of the book in the future!
        -Scott

• admin says:

Hi Scott,

That’s awesome, thanks for not judging my sloppy early work too harshly! I’m really glad that you enjoyed and could relate to Ashes, I have definitely seen the best reactions to it from those familiar with Michigan. Hopefully I’ll find the time and place to rework and release it eventually, despite the warts, I’m still proud of the story itself.

Aric

• Scott L says:

Aric,

Thanks for making Ashes available. Looking forward to reading it on my next vacation! Greatly enjoyed A Good and Useful Hurt and Nickel Plated during a trip in November, and just finished The Fort while on spring break. Loved them all — each book was very hard to put them down once I got stared! The Fort is absolutely terrific — jaw literally dropped during chapter 57 — loved the connection! Just started Rough Men. Keep up the fantastic work.

Scott L

• admin says:

Hi Scott,

I’m so glad that you enjoyed Hurt, Nickel, and The Fort. I love that you made the connection as well, not everyone does, but it’s a fun little easte regg, and I do my best to add connective roots to all my stuff when possible. Ashes is a little rough-it badly needs an edit-but I’m still happy with the plotting. Thanks for reading my work, I really appreciate it, and I should have some new stuff later this year.

Talk to you soon,
          Aric

11. Frederick Mayle says:

I just finished Nickle Plated. I really enjoyed it and think it has the potential to be an amazing movie. Keep up the good work and congrats for sticking with it and making it happen.

Frederick

12. Jule says:

hey Aric,
    my name is Jule and I am working at the development department of a german production company for feature films in Berlin. I am very interested in getting into contact with you in order to know more about the actual planings of this movie (have a big heart for NICKEL PLANTED).
    Would you tell me how to get into contact with you – other than here? Maybe give me an email adress or so? You can reach me under my mail adress (I am assuming you can see my adress since I am posting on your very own website).
    Thank you so much! Jule

13. Jennifer Nagy says:

The Fort was the first book that I read of yours and I fell in love. I immediately devoured several more of your books. A Good and Useful Hurt was a well written story and I absolutely adored Deb. I loved Nickel and Arrow in Nickel Plated and I’m so excited to see that Nickel has made his way into another one of your stories. Breaking Point was crazy but an awesome read! Rough Men was a great story, too! I was worried when I found that Dick Van Engel was in the books that I was reading and I jumped in at a time in the middle of his “personal life,” however I was glad to find that his personal life wasn’t AS big of a part of the actual story lines. Keep doing what you do, you’re an amazing writer!

• admin says:

Thanks Jennifer! I’m so glad that you’ve been enjoying my work, and I really appreciate you taking the time to give it a look. Van Endel is a fun character to write about, and I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of him yet. Even though his stuff is all out of order, and sort of all over the place, I do have a cohesive path for him in mind. Granted, it will take a while to get there, but hopefully it will all come together eventually.

Thanks for stopping by!